John McCombs NDD, ROI, RBA, FRSA, MAFA
Born : Manchester 1943
- Studied Painting at St. Martins College of Art in London (1962 - 1967) Under Gore, Kossoff and Reynolds.
- National Diploma of Art and Design (NDD) 1966.
- Won the "College Prize" 1966.
- Awarded the "David Murray Scholarship" by the Royal Academy 1966.
- Awarded Post Graduate year at St. Martins 1967.
- Elected a member of the Manchester Academy of Fine Arts (MAFA) and onto its council, selection and hanging committees.
- Elected a fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (FRSA).
- Elected a member of the Royal Society of British Artists (RBA) 1998.
- Listed in "Who's who in art".
- Won "The Stanley Grimm Prize" ROI Exhibition 1990.
- Won "The People's Prize" Manchester Academy 1991.
- The main prize (Alan Gourley Memorial Award) ROI exhibition 2001.
- Founder Member of the "New Manchester Group" of artists 2003.
Exhibited work :
Has work in private collections all over the world and in public collections in the North West including the Manchester City Art Gallery.
Work illustrated in many art books and magazines and shown on television.
Exhibits mostly in London and Manchester and has own studio and gallery (John McCombs Gallery) in Delph.
I am a landscape and figure painter who works mainly in oils. My subject matter is essentially the Pennine landscape centred in and around the village of Delph in Saddlesworth. It is an area of undulating landscape which appeals to my interest in form. I am interested in the nature of landscape; its sense of permanence but seen under a fleeting light.
I also like painting the clothed figure and this can include crowd, group or single figure subjects based on the social and working life of the village.
Based upon observation my technique is that of using incisive but vigorous brush-line drawing over flatly applied areas of colour. It is an investigate technique where close study of the subject and personal expression become integral. It is an insistent as well as naturally based technique which has been developed to pin down my particular interest in form, space and movement while retaining life within the paint.
All is intended to be enveloped within an aesthetic as well as meaningful whole which strives to speak for itself.
ROI Member Pages
- Naomi Alexander
- Malcolm Ashman
- Pier Luigi Baffoni
- Fred Beckett
- Brian Bennett
- Tim Benson
- Susan Bower
- Trevor Chamberlain
- Ian Cryer
- David Curtis
- Bill Dean
- Roger Dellar
- Julia Easterling
- Roy Freer
- Peter Graham
- Ken Howard
- Philip James
- Christopher Keays
- Andrew King
- Clarissa Koch
- John McCombs
- Lucy McKie
- June Mendoza
- Ronald Morgan
- Luis Morris
- Brian Roxby
- Brian Ryder
- Valerie Smith
- Dennis Syrett
- Olwen Tarrant
- Tom Wanless
- Oliver Warman
- Robert E. Wells
- Peter Wileman